It starts.......

My first piece of advice?
Never put too much faith in your master plan, cause something can and always will go wrong.
When I decided to become pre-med during my junior year of college, I planned to the last detail how everything would play out. When I decide to do something, I do it all the way, 100%. No half assed anything for me I always said. So I did my research, A LOT of research. What exactly did I need to do to get myself into medical school? I learned about all the important components of a successful med school application: grades, MCAT, research, medical experience, leadership, recommendations, and on and on and on...........
So I made up a plan that would allow me to leave no ground uncovered, no tree unturned, and that is exactly what I have been doing these last three years. You might even say I overdid it. In fact, you could definitely say that. So why am I sitting here in October with no interviews yet?
Truthfully, it's not because I'm not a competitive applicant. I am, for the most part. Its because I've been sitting here all summer, burned out and tired, and I have at last deviated from the master plan. My primary was supposed to be in in June. Well, it went in at the end of July.
Secondaries? Oh, in my plan it was supposed to be a 24 to 48 hour turnaround time. Try two weeks to two months. Ouch!

I was just plain tired. I worked so hard at my master plan, to make everything "perfect and complete", that somewhere along the way I forgot what I was fighting for. I forgot about my dreams and passions because I was so wrapped up in the silly little game we call being pre-med at UCSD. So now I've had the summer to think about it, and I'm starting to get back where I should be, and back on track. But I wish I hadn't let go in the first place.

Anyways, I'll be running this blog at least through next year, so I hope y'all come on down and give it a read every now and then. I welcome any comments and questions, cause after all, I'm the HMP3 GURU!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:24 AM

    Why do you want medical school in the first place?

    ReplyDelete