So I didn't decide by the fifteenth. I lost a hundred dollars but I just couldn't do it. I suppose it is very rude of me to continue hanging on to two spots, but given that I was only notified of my USC acceptance on May 1st, it just wasn't enough time.

I'm trying to take actions to get everything sorted out. My main problem with VCU was possible complications obtaining a satisfactory residency. So I wrote to them and requested the match list. After seeing it, I feel a lot better about this concern. Of course many VCU graduates stayed in Virginia but that makes sense considering that many were from Virginia in the first place. I did see (albeit sparingly) some great places on the list including Hopkins, UCSD, UCSF, Yale, Children's of Orange County, etc. I may be so bold as to guess that the people going to California may be the people who came from California in the first place. I know that I will probably want to return to SoCal if I leave. So anyways, it looks like good residency matches from VCU are definitely doable. So that's good......
As far as USC, one of my main concerns is the support network provided by faculty and administration. In my secondary to them, I had mentioned that I was excited about their new department head of psychiatry, Dr. Carlos Pato. He has done some amazing work with the genetics of neoropsychiatric disorders. So just to test the waters a little bit, I have written to Dr. Pato and indicated that I would be thrilled to work with him as a medical student there. So we'll see if even writes back and what he has to say.

That's about all I've done so far, but it's better than nothing. I may cruise up to L.A. some weekend soon and give it all a second look. I know I don't have too much more time to decide. There is a pre-orientation thing at VCU on the 23rd of June, and that would also be the only time I would have to get an apartment.

Meanwhile, I am so frustrated with all this financial aid paperwork. Not only is there the FAFSA, but individual applications for each school, and another horribly long application at needaccess.org that Rochester and Dartmouth use. I also have to send out copies of mine and my parent's tax returns, and even provide a freaking credit report. Uggg. Does this crap ever end? Seriously.......

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:29 PM

    Did you make a decision yet?! =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:24 PM

    Hi, I can totally relate to your problem. I got accepted to USC pharm and U Maryland and i've been torn about the decision (and i'm still deciding!) There ARE things i hate about LA, but in general they also have exceptional rotations (like out-of-state, Overseas) while MD has only mostly local ones. Plus the city of Baltimore is scary :P. Anyway, I'm a UCSD grad as well and I've been reading your blog by Adele's recommendation. Congrats on getting in and you're right, no matter where we go, being a good doctor/pharmacist should be the utmost important thing to us.

    ReplyDelete