Ladies and Gentlemen....We have a rejection

So yeah, I got my first post-secondary rejection the other day. You can tell what it is before you even open the envelope, so no surprises there. It was from Eastern Virginia, which appropriately enough, was the first secondary I did way back in September. I'm not heartbroken though......like I really wanted to go to Virginia anyways. Oh well. I'm just afraid that it's the first of many more to come. It's hard not to freak out at this point, especially because acceptances have already been going out (to the people who didn't procrastinate). I've already pulled out my MCAT books, and as soon as I put in my last few secondaries I'm going to start studying again, just in case. I guess I've realized that it's a very real possibility that I may not get in this time around. I've done a lot of things right, but I've also done a lot of things wrong lately. I mean really, one of the most common pieces of advice I've heard is APPLY EARLY. And despite my best intentions, I find myself writing essays frantically the night before a deadline. Of course, these mad dashes to the deadline are mostly for the schools I really don't want to go to anyways.

But whether I get in or not this year, it's not the end of the world. I have friends who despair every day that their "whole life will be over" if they don't get into med school right away, but I like to think that I'm a little wiser than that. I'm already 24, a couple years older than most of you will be when you graduate, so whats one more year? As long as I still want to be a doctor, and I stay committed to it, it will happen. Plus I just got a really sweet job that I would have no problem staying at for another year. I'm the new "inventory coordinator" at the Orthopaedic Surgery Center of La Jolla, but so far I feel more like a float tech. I do a little bit of everything, from receiving and stocking supplies, helping out in pre-op and the PACU, to helping with room turnover and depleting patient charts after surgeries. Best of all, I get to wear scrubs and bask in the presence of some of the most celebrated orthopaedic surgeons and anesthesiologists in San Diego. Today, I was able to watch Dr. Pedowitz (I believe he did Inside the Doctor's Lounge several weeks ago) do a shoulder arthroscopy and it was very very cool. Plus, the money's good and its full time/full benefits with lots of little perks. Despite the fact that I have to start at six in the morning, I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far.

So you see, my life will certainly not be over if I don't get into med school this year, and neither will yours. There are always options, and that's really the only healthy outlook you can take.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:10 AM

    Hi! You have such a great attitude and strong mentality! That is awesome. Thanks for all your inside stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:08 AM

    I have to agree with the other comment...You have an awesome attitude towards everything you have taken on in your way to med school, and even though I have never met you, I admire you already.
    I am an HMP3 newbie, and I actually had some questions for you. Oddly enough, I am actually an English Lit. major, and just recently made the decision that I do want to go to med school. Unfortunately, my grades are not so hot. I have about a 3.0 thanks to my first major, computer science, which killed my GPA, and I am a senior this year. I have not taken the MCAT yet either. I'd like to hear your opinion--if you have time that is--on whether you think it's even worth trying to apply or not, and if you have any advice for someone in my situation. My e-mail is kath.ee.lee@gmail.com . Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:22 AM

    Dear Amanda,

    Thank you for sharing your stories and your opinion about medical school. I am persuaded that there aren't just people with extremely great GPA's and high MCAT scores who can go to medical school. In other words, it seems more human now. Thank you. Also, I would like to ask you whether you know if your workplace has a volunteering program I may be apart of. I want to become an orthopedic surgeon, so volunteering at that place will allow me to explore the vast opportunities and choice available. If you have time, please email me at my_annabel_lee@yahoo.com. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete